Monday, February 13, 2017

Following the trail ...

I'm not a Bible scholar. Or a preacher or teacher.

I'm just someone who likes to read the Bible and think about it.

I used to write for some major Christian publications. I wrote a lot about Christian living and Christian testimonies. For about a year, I had a popular blog on "hot topics" that concerned the church: same-sex marriage, abortion, Halloween church carnivals. (You wouldn't believe how controversial that last one is.) And I got really burnt out, because I was spending much time thinking about the church's response to current events, and little time thinking about the Bible.

Then I got the opportunity to write some children's church curriculum. It was so refreshing! Suddenly, I was thinking about the Bible again.

Geographical moves, life changes, and health issues took me away from full-time writing, but I can't seem to shake this longing to write about the Bible.

There won't be any particular format for this blog: It won't be an orderly series or a curriculum. Knowing me, some posts will be super long essays, and others will be a quick sentence or two. My thoughts might be kinda cool, or might be pretty cuckoo ... the only certainty is, this blog will be driven by Bible verses and passages, cut and pasted directly from the New Living Translation on Biblegateway.com. So that part is guaranteed to be GOLD.

Isaiah 55:8-11
8 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
    “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so my ways are higher than your ways
    and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.

10 “The rain and snow come down from the heavens
    and stay on the ground to water the earth.
They cause the grain to grow,
    producing seed for the farmer
    and bread for the hungry.
11 It is the same with my word.
    I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
    and it will prosper everywhere I send it.
 
As a professional Christian writer, my greatest hope was that God would use something I wrote to encourage folks to read the Bible more. Now, I'm going to start with the Bible, and let my thoughts follow its words. At the very least, this blog will get one person to read their Bible more (me!).

So here I go, following this trail of breadcrumbs ... because I know it leads home.

No comments:

Post a Comment